Subject: Re: [Leica] Warranty Issues
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 15:29:14 -0500

Austin Franklin wrote:
> John,
>
> I asked THREE people who have new in box Leica USA bodies, and not one of
> them came with anything but the Passport "plan".  Can anyone who has an
> official Leica USA M6/M7/R8 etc. verify that you in fact ALSO have an
> International Warranty alongside the Passport "plan"?
>
> Regards,
>
> Austin

Yes, I recently bought an R9 and aside from the Passport, which the
document by the way refers to as the "Passport Plan and Limited
Warranty", there is another document in the box called the "Warranty Card".

It is written in several languages and includes the addresses of Leica
service centers worldwide. I believe this is what people are referring
to as the "International Warranty". It also has a sticker and a bar code
on which are imprinted the camera serial number and model number.

Here is a quote from that document:

"Alongside your statutory warranty rights towards your distributor, you
will also receive a three-year warranty from Leica Camera AG for this
camera, according to the condtions below. The Leica guarantee dos not,
therefore, affect your legal rights as a consumer under relevant
national law, nor the consumer's rights in terms of the dealer, as
detailed in the sales contract concluded between the two parties.

Yours sincerely,

Leica AG"

It then goes on to list several normal exclusions, such as abuse,  but
notably includes the following under "Conditions of the Extended Warranty":

"6) Tourists may, if required, make use of the agency of the country in
which they are travelling (within the terms of the extended warranty of
the Leica Camera AG) by presenting the Warranty Card"

By Warranty Card, they are clearly talking about this black document,
not the Passport document. I must admit that until this discussion
erupted, I hadn't even looked at this document -- it was sitting in the
box in a corner of my basement.

Hope this helps,

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014