Subject: Re: [Leica] Warranty Issues
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 23:11:24 -0700

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for clearing that up. You feel the following statement was a
lie:

> You are comparing Leica US gear with grey market gear. You were not
> choosing between Leica US gear with and without passport.

It may well be incorrect but that does not make it a lie. A lie is when
a false statement is deliberately and knowingly made. I was shocked to
learn that I was lying to you because I intrinsically felt that I
should have known that before you. So please let me assure you that I
am not lying to you; however, I may well be mistaken. According to my
spousal unit, I am frequently mistaken.

I know nothing about the transaction and I know nothing about the
dealer with whom you were dealing so I cannot comment on any specifics
you have not told me. However passport documents are matched to an
individual item. You cannot just remove the documents and remove the
passport plan. Leica did, and maybe still does, have problems with
forged Leica USA gear. I do not know the details but at least one
dealer is no longer an official dealer due to his practice of
transferring documents from official product to grey product and
selling both as official. Whether this applies to your situation I do
not know.

John Collier (always open to correction)

PS: When I went to register the passport warrantee on a camera, it was
refused by the distributor. The distributor claimed the camera did not
come from them and that it was grey. I went back to my dealer and they
forwarded all their paperwork back to the distributor. It turns out the
distributor had incorrectly recorded the serial number when the camera
arrived from Leica AG.