Subject: RE: [Leica] How can a Leica not come from an "authorized Leica dealer"?
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:15:50 -0500

Patrick,

> The gray market cameras DON'T GET
> SIGNED AND STAMPED AND IF THEY DO, THE WARRANTY IS
> WORTHLESS.

Legally, I do not believe that is true in the US.  The only thing that needs
to be established is the origin date of the item.  That is typically done
with a sales receipt, but can be established by other means like a serial
number records or dated parts.  If you can establish, by the serial number
let's say, that the camera was made in July, 2001, and the warranty is two
years, then, legally, it is in warranty until July 2003.

Anyway, I'd find it egregious that, at the very least, that Leica A.G. (as
in Germany) would not honor any warranty claim.  If they want to claim it
has NO warranty, then they should not sell it with a warranty card.

Austin