Subject: Re: [Leica] States' Rights and Racism HOME SCHOOLING - OFF-TOPIC STORY
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:05:44 EST

In a message dated 2/12/03 8:25:00 AM, sld@earthlink.net writes:

<< My experience has only been in CA, the breath of it. When I used to do
photo/interviews in people's homes, I was surprised at the amount of it.
And that was in homes that were just a few blocks from a school.
Ultimately, during the course of the interview, the ideological
reasoning, for want of a better term, would creep through. And creepy it was.
Then again, I live in long Beach, CA, often known as Little Iowa by the
sea. Here we have people who generations later still affect a midwestern
drawl, wear bolo ties, western cut suits, cowboy riding boots--while
walking and driving, etc. Mind you, this is in the fifth largest city in
the state, which styles itself as a World Port.
Slobodan Dimitrov >>

All I know about so-called state's rights is that it seems to be a selective
concept.  California has offered up a number of stronger enviornment laws
which a number of self-professed state's right supporters on the federal
level have not supported.  And perhaps the most glaring example is the
current war on medical marijuana being waged by the DEA.  The citizens of the
state of California passed a medical marijuana law several years ago and the
DEA is still using untold amounts of money rampaging through meidcal
marijuana clinics to arrest "drug kingpins."  The feds recently busted a
provider in Davenport California, the image of 5 agents busting into a
bedroom and telling a polio patient and paraplegic to get up out of bed to
handcuff her would have truly been a Leica moment.
http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2002/December/29/local/stories/03loca

l.htm

I know it's completely off topic, and I'm hardly a left-winger, but when I
read that cameras are now becoming dangerous objects at protest rallies, and
the proposed totalitarian rules under the ridiculously named Patriot act, and
the rule of law and order (over compassion) in this case, I'm less worried
about State's rights and more worried about my own.  I gotta wonder what part
of our freedoms US citizens aren't willing to give up and what freedoms the
government isn't willing to take.

Kim