Subject: RE: [Leica] States' Rights and Racism HOME SCHOOLING -
From: "Kit McChesney | Acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 14:00:02 -0700

I think the success of home-schooling depends entirely on the person doing
the schooling, that is, if you have someone like Tina who is educated,
open-minded, and following such a rich curriculum as what one finds with the
Calvert School, and who is concerned about socializing her children, giving
them a broad range of experiences, it works. My son attends a very liberal
private school, and has had several classmates join his class who were
home-schooled. My observation wasn't so much that they were conservative or
right-wing, per se (this is, after all, Boulder, Colorado), but that they
did seem to lag in their social skills, and seemed much "younger" than their
counterparts who had been in a traditional school setting. They had a really
difficult time adjusting to the climate of 4th/5th grade. They seemed more
like 2nd or 3rd graders (or younger, at times) in the emotional development
department. It has been painful to witness their very difficult transition.
Next year, they'll be in public middle school, and I suspect it will be
equally difficult for them.

K.