Subject: [Leica] Re: Hexar RF-yes, one more time
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 23:01:27 -0500

Akhil:

At what point does people's fixation with "putting it right" end?
There are plenty of mathematical, physical and practical proofs that
there is no difference worth worrying about.  Against this, there is
anecdotal evidence from a couple of people who endlessly repeat their
story based on a single body.

This whole thing comes from ambiguous statements from people at Konica
who do not want to have warranty costs driven out of sight by
guaranteeing compatibility with the products of a manufacturer Konica
does not control (i.e., Leica).

You might be surprised to learn that you can put Ford wheels on a GM
car.  Your car will even work properly.  But there is no way that GM is
going to take responsibility for the failure of those Ford wheels.  So
why do you expect Konica to suck up what may be poor QC on a Leica
lens?  When you get into the old lenses that may have been disassembled
a few times, who's to say they're even Leica spec?

To tell you the truth, the Konica people have no awareness of Leica's
specs or what differences are between Leica and M-Hexanons are (ha -
none!).  That is not their job (just as it is not Leica's job to make
my new Summilux - which has a bad RF coupling - compatible with my
Hexar).  Konica's repair service goes by the book, of which I have a
copy.  It doesn't mention Leica at all.  The workers are told they
cannot guarantee compatibility, and so they tell you that.  It's just
like the Chevy dealer telling you he can't guarantee compability with
non-OEM wheels.  It does not mean that there are incompatibilities.
People take these statements to mean that there are incompatibilities
and work themselves into a frenzy.

Also consider:

1.	Any non-warranty work by Konica is expensive.  Try $174 per item for
a simple rangefinder adjustment.  For that much, you may as well try
the camera/lens combination.

2.	Konica does not do custom work of the type you are describing.  They
will tell you on the phone that it can be done, and in the real world,
they NEVER do it.  Everytime I have sent a body in to have the RF
adjusted with 3 lenses (usually 2 Konica and 1 Leica), even with the
proviso that I wanted the body to work primarily with a 35 Summilux,
it STILL comes back with a note that compatibility with Leica lenses is
not guaranteed (in actual use, there has never been a problem).

By contrast, when you send in 1 Konica M39 (i.e., Leica spec) lens and
2 M-Hexanons (which, if you buy the back focus argument should not be
the same thing), it comes back with no notes like that and everything
works properly.  If that does not suggest strongly that this is a
brand-oriented issue, I don't know what does.

3.	Contrary to what people may believe about the use of lenses to
calibrate RFs, the M-Hexanon lenses are built around a
lens-flange-to-RF coupling (at infinity) of 6.47mm -0/+0.03.  Lenses
are tested using a special tool, and bodies are calibrated using a
Konica reference lens.  When you send in the rest of your lenses, they
basically set the camera with the reference lens and then check it with
each of your lenses.

Dante