Subject: [Leica] Film Scanners
From: Tom.Henson@bakerbotts.com
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:44:52 -0600

Hello to all.

Now that I have a working M7 with 35 and 75 Summilux lenses, I am working
toward a digital darkroom of sorts.

After researching the LUG archives and other sources, I purchased the Epson
2200 printer. I am learning right now from various sources how to use this
great printer. There is definitely a learning curve to this level of
printing.

My next addition will be a film scanner and I have also been searching the
archives and websites for feedback and reviews.

My price range is around $1100 or less. I want at least 4000dpi with a
density factor of 4 dMax or greater.

I will be running this on a windows 2000 platform and would like USB
connectivity for ease of use. SCSI is also OK since I have an SCSI card.

I have narrowed my choices down to three scanners that seem to meet this
criteria, but would love to have some basic feedback or opinions based upon
experienced users. Especially since the software has been updated most
likely on all three of these since they first came out.

I am looking at the Polaroid Sprintscan 4000 Plus, and it's near clone by
MicroTek, the  ArtixScan 4000tf. Of these two, I favor the Polaroid since it
comes with the SilverFast software which I understand to be quite good.

I am also considering the Nikon SuperCoolscan 4000 ED even though it uses
fire wire and is a little more expensive than my budget (it currently has a
$200 rebate). I would have to get an adaptor to convert it to USB.

I have read many good things about the Polaroid and a few not so good. All
of the reviews were based upon the original 4000 and not the new Plus
version. The new Plus version is even better with a greater optical density
and bit rate.

I have not read very much about the MicroTek and understand that MicroTek
actually makes the Polaroid so they are very similar.

The Nikon is also highly rated, but I have read several reviews that it has
some known flaws. One of which was the software creating noise in the darker
dynamic range and another about slides scanning with a little distortion.

I know that film scanners have been much discussed here on the LUG, but that
is because they are becoming such an important piece of equipment and are
ever changing.

I know there are other scanners in this price range that I may have
overlooked and would also appreciate any feedback on these as well.

Please feel free to respond to me off list if you would prefer.

Thanks

Tom Henson
Tom.henson@bakerbotts.com

Replies: Reply from Charles Hehl <chehl@comcast.net> (Re: [Leica] Film Scanners)