Subject: Re: [Leica] Film Scanners
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:04:20 -0500

Tom.Henson@bakerbotts.com wrote:
> Hello to all.
>
> Now that I have a working M7 with 35 and 75 Summilux lenses, I am working
> toward a digital darkroom of sorts.
>
> After researching the LUG archives and other sources, I purchased the Epson
> 2200 printer. I am learning right now from various sources how to use this
> great printer. There is definitely a learning curve to this level of
> printing.
>
> My next addition will be a film scanner and I have also been searching the
> archives and websites for feedback and reviews.
>
> My price range is around $1100 or less. I want at least 4000dpi with a
> density factor of 4 dMax or greater.

Others have already mentioned the Nikon 4000, which I have and like just
fine. I second the comments on Vuescan, which has also been discussed
extensively in the past.

But if I were buying a scanner today, I would take a good hard look at
the new Epson Perfection 3200, which I believe is due to be introduced
in March. If one is to believe the early reviews, it is the first
flatbed for a reasonable price which has adequate resolution and Dmax to
do good scans of 35mm.(I think the list price is about $600.00).

- --
Rolfe Tessem
Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com