Subject: Re: [Leica] Film Scanners
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:04:53 -0800 (PST)

Ernest Nitka <enitka@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> - I had the old Sprintscan 4000 - you have to know how to
> clean it with their special brush. Would be concerned about
> the health of the company and the longevity of after sale
> support.

I have Ernie's old Sprintscan 4000.  Examples of scans made with it are:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/coyote2.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/grhe2.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/lbhe1.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/goea1.html

A few of my slides were also scanned (by other people) with Coolscan IV and Coolscan 4000 scanners.  These were older Kodachromes that weren't completely flat.  The Nikon scanners could not get the entire slide in focus.  The Polaroid scanner can, especially when using the Silverfast software bundled with the scanner.

Vuescan also works quite well with the Sprintscan 4000 with a couple of limitations (which may be 'cuz I don't know how to get around 'em):

1) Highlights get clipped.  I can control this better with Silverfast.

2) Most, but not all, of the curved slides are in focus.  The entire slide is in focus with Silverfast.  The scans of these slides made with the Nikon scanners were unusable.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com