Subject: Re: [Leica] M[67] ramblings LONG
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:09:58 +0100

snip

>One can pick up good M6's (new) + some glass for the price of an M7. (BD
>has me thinking about the 35/1.4 Summilux (current) or the 28/2.0)
>
>Those who have gone over to the M7 ... do you feel like you gained a lot?
>I know I like AE in other cameras (F3), but I've never missed it in a
>rangefinder.

more snip

Hello to Lindome and/or Oslo,

you have one more option these days; get a (so-called) used M7.
Current prices in Germany are exactly two-thirds of the list price. I
speak based on personal experience. One of the two 'used' M7s I got
was new in the box, the original batteries still in their original
seal. The seller said he had had to take the M7 as part of a deal
where he returned a large format camera with a quantity of lenses to
his dealer. I used the facility on the Leica website to check that
the serial number was not on the stolen/lost camera register. The
other one I got from a photographer who needed money (don't they
all?), and it was not on the stolen camera list either. That seller
also gave me a cable release and  a leather case, and I sold the
latter on ebay for 70 euro. That camera had been used for a good half
year, but it makes no difference to me, both of them are now covered
with black or grey textile tape. I have sold my two M6s and also got
an average of two thirds of what I had paid four and five years ago.
The depreciation has been ten dollars per month per camera, and I
think it has been worth it  ;-) In any case that is less than for
most of the other less-expensive-to-buy cameras I have owned.

Now to your question: do I feel like I have gained a lot? The answer
is yes. If it had been 'no', then I would obviously not have changed
both my M6s. The main gain is psycological. I feel much more at ease,
particularly when photographing people. With the M6 I often wanted to
check the exposure before pressing the button, just for safety's
sake, and that distracted from composing the picture or getting the
right moment. This in spite of the fact that I did not have much
problem with correct exposure with the M6. What I generally did with
the M6 walking down a street would be to measure some medium grey on
the sunny side of the street and then set the exposure, and the redo
the measurement for the shady side and remember how many stops
difference there was. That was the end of metering. Then straight
shooting on the shady side and closing down three stops or whatever
for shooting on the sunny side. In that situation, I am not sure the
M7 will get better exposures - except in the case when I had not been
planning to make photos  and thus not made any measurements at all,
and then the picture opportunity is there, but just for a second.
Then the M7 will win.

In fact the M7 will always win, because I can concentrate  on the image.

Much of my shooting is in difficult light situations, like backlit
situations, or situations where a person is photographed against a
black or a white background, and this coupled swith changing light
conditions. Then two measurement with the M7 to see how much exposure
compensation is needed, and then set the compensation correspondingly
and shoot a whole series in changing light without having to worry.
Then M7 wins. Or for single shots, measure some average gray, lock
the exposure, frame and then shoot

What I liked about the M6 was that it forced me to understand
exposure, and I think I can use that knowledge to my advantage with
any other camera, automatic or not. But now that I have learned it, I
prefer not to have to go though the exercise any more - unless I want
to.

I did some shooting outdoors a few days ago when it was about 8°C
below freezing  (15°F approx) and I got the dreaded "bc" message in
the display of the `really used´ (now nine month old) M7. I had
remembered the exposure time in the display, so I just went on to one
of the mechanical times, and adjusted the aperture accordingly and
shot. I had brought spare batteries along but never used them as I
only had a few frames left on the film. Back home I checked the
batteries with a volt meter end they were OK. Does somebody (who has
read this far) know if lithium batteries do not like cold weather.
Anyway they are the same batteries as used in the M6, but the past
few years have not been really cold here so I have no comparison.

Thank you for reading all this
- --
Christer Almqvist
D 20255 Hamburg and / or