Subject: Re: [Leica] Calibrating Monitor
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:17:33 -0500

Ernest Nitka wrote:
> Rafael - interesting pic - would have liked it better in color.  My
> reading ( i.e. I'm not an expert) suggests that Windows folks should
> have a gamma of 2.2.  Traditional teaching suggests that Mac users
> should use 1.8.  Recent sources are now saying that Mac should also be 2.2.
>
> I now use 2.2 upon this more recent advice.
>
> ernie - don't blame me for what I read - nitka

The 1.8 recommendation for Mac monitors dates back to the really old Mac
monitors. Newer monitors have a "native" gamma of closer to 2.2, and the
closer to native gamma you are, the better the monitor will be able to
display the full gamut in the color space.

Go with 2.2 and don't look back...

http://www.drycreekphoto.com has some useful information on the subject.

- --
Rolfe Tessem