Subject: Re: [Leica] Neopan 1600 latitude
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:46:33 -0800

Peter Klein wrote:

> I've got a question for those of you who shoot Neopan 1600 at EI 1600 in
> Xtol 1:3.
>
> The normal rule of thumb when you meter well-lit caucasian skin close up
> or with a spot meter is to open up one stop for negative film, or 1/2 stop
> for slide film.  Does this apply to the very fast films, or do we need to
> open up less because of lesser film latitude?
>
> Or a more general question: What is the general over/underexposure
> latitude of Neopan 1600 compared to, say, Tri-X at 400 and/or 800?
>
> I understand that this depends on development time, developer, the local
> water, and whether or not one sacrifices a chicken to the spirits of Ansel
> and Minor.  But some ballpark starting information would be useful.
> After my recent bout with washed-out onstage faces, I've acquired a spot
> meter and will be putting it to use forthwith.
>
> --Peter Klein
> Seattle, WA
>
> --

Peter I don't think the faster black and white films have lessor
latitude! Unlike color slide films.
If you think of it color neg fast films don't have less latitude that
slower color neg films.
That's my experience anyway!
The easiest films I've ever printed were Neopan 1600 at 1600 in Xtol 1:3
and T-Max 3200 at 1600 in Rodinal 1:50
So I'd open up a half to full stop when I use Neopan 1600 on a Zone VI
face otherwise I'd be underexposing and a brunette would have no detail
in the hair. Blondes would appear to be brunettes. The horror!
I'm sure you're aware that in a scene you'd be placing other areas, not
Zone VI. You might be exposing for a lot of dark important detail which
really has to be there and not have time to check that against the face.
That's one thing that you hear talking about on zone system stuff.
What you take readings of when you only have time for one quick reading.

My guess is Neopan has perhaps a half stop MORE latitude than Tri-X at
400 in Neopan 1:2 (was my dilution then).
I cant see how Xtol is going to get an ISO of 800 out of Tri x. When i
expose less; the shadow detail disappears. And of course all the
development in the world is not going to make it appear again. In this
case at lease. I believe there area developers which one can use to get
an extra stop out of film like Acufine, Diafine and Kodaks T-Max
developer which makes T-Max P. 3200 3200 as a starting point. Awful
stuff though.

If you're not kidding and you really did get a spot meter then your
going to learn a lot about the zone system fast or at least your
thresholds and latitudes. And a nice veranda.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
Photography

Website: http://www.rabinergroup.com