Subject: RE: [Leica] OT - was Digital - Rumor Mongering long, now Contax
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:39:58 -0500

B.D.,

> the Contax SLR's have
> been basically non-competitive because the glass is generally slow

WHAT?  Are you dipping in the left over egg-nog again?  SLOW?  Yeah, 85/1.2,
100/2, 135/2, 35/1.4..etc.  The only lenses that beat them at the Noctilux,
but oh my, that isn't for an SLR...and there are some 5x 1.2s as well.  Oh,
there is a Canon 24/1.4 as well.  Very nice lense...but over all, they could
hardly be categorized as "slow".

> and
> the number and range of lenses has been quite limited, compared to Nikon
> and Canon.

Hum.  I don't know about Nikon, but Canon only has two lenses that beat
Contax.  The 24/1.4 and the 5x 1.0.  Other than that, Contax goes head to
head.  Limited?  I suggest you check out how extensive the range is...as I
believe it pretty much goes head to head with Canon, except possibly at the
very esoteric high mm teles.  The Contax zooms are amongst the best, and you
have to use Canon L series lenses to match any of the Contax lenses.

> Yes, they
> finally have an autofocus camera, and there the lens range is even more
> limited.

It's very limited.  It isn't even a few years old!  Look how long it took
Canon to come out with the range of AF lenses they have now...but what
Contax has come out with is superb, not my first choice (zooms), but superb
none the less.

Austin