Subject: RE: [Leica] Protest pics: Selection, bias, seeing
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:23:27 -0500

George L wrote that he couldn't...

...imagine any photographer or writer for that matter not having an
opinion these days. The level of professionalism ultimately determines
whether one allows personal opinion to overtake objectivity.
- --

Forget objectivity, George - it's an utter myth. Each of us brings to
every situation we photograph or report our personal history, our
education, our prejudices, our personal 'issues,' along with the
breakfast we did or didn't eat and the amount of sleep we got the
previous night. And all of those things combine to form the lenses
through which we view the story/scene before us.

The myth of objectivity has it that we can take off those lenses, and
view a situation objectively. But we simply cannot do that. We cannot
change who and what we are.

What we can - and must - do, is be fully aware of the lenses through
which we are viewing that which is before us, and the ways in which
those lenses effect our vision. And then we must do everything in our
power to be FAIR and HONEST in our reporting and photography.

IMHO

B. D.