Subject: Re: [Leica] BD and the M7
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:36:02 -0500

At 04:26 PM 2/21/03 -0600, grduprey@rockwellcollins.com wrote:

>You may be able to, but not everyone can, or has the inclination to do so.
>Will you or your son be able to do this after your body has gone south and
>no longer can hold tools steady etc.?  You must remember the older
>generation is dying off and not too many of the younger generation has the
>respect for the older generation of cameras etc. that we do and they will
>not want to take the time and energy to learn these skills and make the
>repairs.  This is not just bunk, I have seen it in the electronic and
>mechanical engineering areas of expertise.  Example:  1960-70 vintage
>radios which use tubes and other components - Tubes are no longer made and
>are becoming scarce- no one is making or has the equipment to make or
>repair tubes (a needed skill since you can no longer purchase the tubes),
>not many today know how to repair the older circuitry that uses individual
>components ,

You are confusing apples and oranges here.

I have 20-year-old acquaintances at machine shops who are fully capable of
cutting any gear in a Leica M gear train.  Every US town has an automotive
machine shop accustomed to working in tolerances of 0.001 inch or even
0.01mm or tighter.  Any of these should be able to replicate the necessary
gears on a Leica camera.  The PRICE for doing this might be high but it
certainly will continue to be able to be done for many, many years.  For
that matter, there is a laser-measuring process which has reduced the cost
of reproducing parts like these immensely, though I forget its name.  (I am
also involved, tangentially, with elderly British and German sports cars,
where this problem comes up frequently.)

As to vacuum tubes, you prove my point:  electronics become obsolete quite
rapidly.  However, in that specific case, almost all vacuum tubes are
available, though you might have to order them from the Former Warsaw Pact
nations.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!