Subject: Re: [Leica] BD and the M7
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 08:31:31 -0700

There will always be machine shops willing to do a single piece. The
question is are you going to willing to pay? A hundred or so for a
single custom gear will make some repairs a daunting prospect. As with
other obsolete gear, scrounging from user bodies will be the order of
the day.

A few years back my shop was doing a mechanical restoration on a
thirties Alvis Speed 20. Virtually every aluminium engine casting was
too corroded to use. New ones had to be manufactured using the old ones
as patterns. HOLY DOODLE was that expensive. The owner was a bit of a
nervous wreck by the end of the project.

John Collier