Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Longevity of Leica products
From: Mike Durling <durling@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 12:53:05 -0500

It will be THEORETICALLY possible to create a circuit in the future that
will emulate one that used obsolete components.  Whether it will be
practical to reverse-engineer something like an M7's shutter circuit is
another thing altogether.

People do this now with the original Nintendo game system.  They stuff a
small general-purpose computer into the old case and run emulation
software.  Why they do this is another question, since the part that
wears out on a Nintendo, its cartridge connector, is available as a
replacement item.

All this being said, I agree that it is, and will be for the forseeable
future, easier to cut a gear.

Mike D