Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Longevity of Leica products
From: Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:03:40 -0800 (PST)

Howdy
Before Quartz control, all "electronic" shutters were
controlled via capacitive discharge. The cap acted as
a delay circuit discharge time was controled by
modifying the discharge network either through trhe
introduction of new RCL elements or by varying source
voltage to the network. IE putting a resistor in shunt
with the cap would make it discharge more quickly.
Interestingly enough the primordial electronic shutter
is not truly electronic since there is no
amplification going on. Similarly the digitally driven
cameras are notb truly digital in that that there is
no inferencing, interpolation or the like going on
except for low level counters and bar segments.
BTW: the old ca[pacitive electronic shutters like the
R3, RTS Nikkormat etc are very reliable at all
temperatures.
Javier