Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Longevity of Leica products
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:27:48 -0500

Javier,

> Before Quartz control, all "electronic" shutters were
> controlled via capacitive discharge. The cap acted as
> a delay circuit discharge time was controled by
> modifying the discharge network either through trhe
> introduction of new RCL elements or by varying source
> voltage to the network. IE putting a resistor in shunt
> with the cap would make it discharge more quickly.

Of course, but this method is not near as accurate as can be done digitally.

> Interestingly enough the primordial electronic shutter
> is not truly electronic since there is no
> amplification going on.

Why do you have to have amplification to be electronic?  All electronic
means is uses electricity!

> Similarly the digitally driven
> cameras are notb truly digital in that that there is
> no inferencing, interpolation or the like going on
> except for low level counters and bar segments.

I don't understand what you mean.  The shutter is digitally controlled, as
in, the timing is done with digital logic, as opposed to analog.  That makes
it digital.  No one is saying it's entirely digital, there are almost always
some analog components to digital control.

> BTW: the old ca[pacitive electronic shutters like the
> R3, RTS Nikkormat etc are very reliable at all
> temperatures.

I doubt they are near as accurate as one that is digitally controlled.

Regards,

Austin

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] RE: Longevity of Leica products)