Subject: [Leica] Digicam for a Leica photographer
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:50:45 -0800 (PST)

Since we're on the subject, I'd like to ask Tina and other Leica users
about their choice of digital camera to supplement their Leicas.  I've
concluded the same thing that others have about pro-level DSLRs--too
expensive and "in-progress" right now.  So it looks like a "prosumer" or
decent P&S camera might be best if I want something digital in the near
future.

I came up with the following criteria:

- - Image quality:  8x10s that I wouldn't be ashamed of.  5x7s I could sell
to a newspaper or magazine without apology.  I had thought that 4-5
megapixels would be necessary, but there seems some controversy here.

- - Decent quality at ISO 400, if possible, usable quality at 800.  I have
Neat Image, so I can deal with a *little* noise.  But if it looks like
Kodak 3200 at ISO 400, why bother?

- - Shutter delay: As little as possible.  At the very least, a way to
easily put the camera on constant autofocus so it is already focused when
I press the shutter, like the Contax G2.

- - Lens:  At least the equivalent of my 35-50-90 spread on the Leica.  f/2
at wide and normal, f/2.8 at the long end.

- - The manual controls we Leica types love should be easily accessible.  At
least, the camera should be able to be quickly put in a manual control
mode and left there, as opposed to wading through six menus for every
shot.

- - LCD as big and real-world useful as possible.

- - Batteries:  able to recharge outside of camera with external charger.

- - A decent macro capability would be nice.

Bottom line:  A digicam where I wouldn't have to fight its point-and-shoot
nature every minute, with controls designed by a photographer, not a
microchip engineer.

Cameras I've read reviews of and drooled over a bit:

- - Digilux 1 (probably the most Leica-like out there?)
- - Olympus E10 (best bang for the buck?)
- - Sony DSC-F717 (kinda big and clunky-looking, but image quality and
manual control sound really good).

I have some experience with the Nikon Coolpix 990, which we have at my
workplace.  I really like its macro capability.  The rotatable LCD is
great. But for spontaneous, Leica-type photography, it's incredibly
awkward.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA