Subject: [Leica] These kids today! (was Re: silly errors)
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:53:15 -0800 (PST)

> I was having lunch with a model last week and happened to snap a photo

Go ahead, gloat about it . . .

> . . .she'd never been photographed by anyone using film before. . .
> . . .she gave the leica a curious going over, pronounced it "cute but
> strange" and we continued with lunch.

> Remember when I used to be the youngster in this group? I'm falling
> apart anymore.

Kyle, you have just had your first "Oh, God, I'm *really* not a kid
anymore!" experience.  Mine was about 15 years ago when I admired the deft
modifications female co-worker of mine had made to a printed circuit
board. I joked that you didn't have to have such dexterity when I learned
electronics and got my ham radio license, since a lot of stuff then was
still based on tubes.

She looked at me blankly and said "Tubes?"

And then it hit me.

So, bro', we feel your pain.  You can take comfort in the fact that
physical rot and senility is still a ways off.  However, you may find that
your coolness quotient begins to go down. The gothgrrl and rockerbabe
models will no longer see you as edgy, with a thrillingly dangerous air.
Instead, they'll begin to view you you as cute and adorable, in a retro,
big-brotherly kind of way. You'll live.

- --Peter

Replies: Reply from Bill Satterfield <cwsat@istate.net> (Re: [Leica] These kids today! (was Re: silly errors))
Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] These kids today! (was Re: silly errors))