Subject: [Leica] Double Stroke v. Single Stroke M3
From: "Buzz Hausner" <buzz.hausner@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:27:16 -0500

I could be wrong about this, but if I remember the discussions held
around the photographers' lounge at the Time/Life Building in the early
sixties this is the scuttlebutt.  The double stroke was used initially
because early tests of a single stroke advance moved the film so quickly
out of the canisters that in cold weather static emissions could streak
the film.  Thus, the double stroke was utilized to slow the film advance
and guarantee against static streaking.  I would have gleaned this
information from a discussion I overheard between Brad Morse and Marty
Forscher circa 1963 or '64.  I do not remember Brad or Marty address why
one would slow the advance through two strokes rather than simple
gearing, but if it made sense to Forscher, who was a true mechanical
genius, then one must presume that it made perfect sense.

Again, this is apocrypha, and I remain seated so that I can stand
corrected immediately when called to task.

	Buzz Hausner