Subject: [Leica] Lens help
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:05:41 -0600

I have a 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit, original light weight version,  which I
recently purchased and have been checking it out.  It seems just fine,
except every now and then under certain lighting conditions I get a
glare/flair? effect with light off white walls or from windows in the
background.  It is just fine outside with bright light or all other indoor
lighting.  I have looked at the lens and there appears to be some debris on
the inside of the rear element (I actually notice this when I purchased it
but I have a 200/4 Telyt for the visoflex (I am using with the R adapter)
with similar condition which works just fine).  My question to the lens
experts here is, I have heard that some of the older M lenses have a front
lens group that can be unscrewed, for what ever purposes, is this lens one
of those?  If so I am thinking of removing the lens group and carefully
cleaning the rear lens element on the inside of the barrel.  Or am I going
to have to send to Leica for cleaning (if even possible for less than 6 of
my body parts).  Thanks for any help.

Gene