Subject: Re: [Leica] MP and rewind crank.
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:47:07 -0500

John Collier wrote:
> Unlike all the other rewind cranks, it has a substantial top to it. This
> would be enough to compensate for the open side. It does not have to be
> very rigid. I never used the setscrew on my Wasserman rewind crank. I
> just held it on with a bit of silicone.
>
> John Collier

My understanding is that the gearing on the MP rewind is different from
the gearing on the M2/M3. The explanation I heard was that this is to
make rewinding faster on the new camera. If so, I would assume that this
means a higher gear ratio and therefore somewhat greater resistance when
rewinding. Maybe this is why Leica felt the need to offer the accessory
crank? I guess time will tell...

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem