Subject: RE: [Leica] Emotional Distress
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 12:25:28 -0700

Rob--

I know exactly what you mean. People feel that because you have a camera,
that you are just ready and waiting to take their pictures for them. I
started making photographs in a serious way when I was about 13 (I say that
since that is when I got my first outfit), and because I had a "nice" 35mm
camera, everyone in the family felt it was my job to be staff family
photographer. I hated it and it made me want to leave my camera at home
whenever I would go to an event that I was supposed to be enjoying with all
the other participants, when instead I was being asked to "work." I finally
put my foot down and said that I did not want to do these "assignments," and
folks finally listened.

I'd tell them that though you enjoy photography, that you don't enjoy
assignments, that your style of working is quite different, more personal,
and that they would really enjoy the result much more if they would hire a
professional. Just be honest about it. Tell them you don't enjoy doing that
kind of work, and that as a result, they won't enjoy the results.

Good luck learning to say "no" on your own behalf. It's very liberating.

Kit