Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Guilt?
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 12:54:56 -0700

Jerry, Seth, Faneuil et al--

I'd say that whatever you purchased, if it brought you pleasure, it was
worth the investment. If you anguish over the thing instead of using it or
enjoying it, then perhaps it wasn't the right idea. (This attitude might be
something you might want to address in therapy, and may have nothing to do
with whether the object in question was or wasn't a good investment!)

Personally, I think guilt is a wasted emotion. If you've done something
horrible, yes, you should feel guilt about that, but if you didn't spend the
money you needed for the baby's food, or to keep the heat on if it's cold
outside, then why not enjoy spending the money you've earned on something
that brings you enjoyment? Not only that, but with a camera, your purchase
usually brings others enjoyment as well, since you're probably going to
share the images you make with others who will also derive something
meaningful from your having seen and captured a vision of the world with
your Leica.

I think you should always figure in the dividend of "fun" or "enjoyment"
that is returned on the investment, too, rather than simply looking at what
the thing will be "worth" in a few years. Not only that, but you might also
want to say to yourself that you personally are worthy of the camera. It's a
pleasure to play chopsticks on a toy piano, but it sounds a whole lot better
on a concert grand!

Kit