Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Guilt?
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 21:11:40 -0500

Kit McChesney | acmefoto wrote:

> Rolfe--
>
> Yikes, far be it from me to offend the Cunard line, heaven forbid! I guess
> the term "cruise" isn't a good word among the really serious shipping
> companies. The only cruise I ever took was on a beautiful ship in the
> Caribbean, and granted, there was all the usual hoo-ha on board--gambling,
> shows, etc.--but I preferred walking the long deck and looking out over the
> waves. It was a lovely experience to be on such a large ship in the middle
> of the ocean.

I think the industry definition of a "cruise" is an itinerary where you
put into a different port each day, or at most two, then sail overnight
to the next port. This is how it is done in the Carribean. Most of the
ships that do this are *much* smaller than the QE2, and I would frankly
think twice about taking one of those ships across the North Atlantic
during storm season. :-) QE2 is in a different class both structurally
and in size. Also, the feeling of a transatlantic crossing is much
different since you are basically going in a straight line for 5-6 days.

> But the QEII must be a luxury liner, even if "cruise" isn't the proper term
> for what they do. When I asked about references to freight ships, I was
> looking for something that would be more affordable, and with a bit more
> adventure, stopping at ports, being on board with a crew dedicated to
> working the ship, etc., staying at sea a bit longer.

QE2 is a decendant of her predecessors, some of which had first class,
second class, third class and steerage accommodations. That has been
vastly streamlined, but there are still various classes of
accommodations. The difference between now and then is that the
different classes are not segregated physically on the ship (for an
example of that, rent a tape of Titanic :-)). Like an airline, a
passenger liner's unbooked berths approach a value of zero as the time
to sailing approaches. You would probably be surprised at how cheaply
you can book a passage if you're willing to go at the last minute.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014

Replies: Reply from "Phil Leeson" <pjleeson@mchsi.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica Guilt - Cruising)