Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Guilt - Cruising
From: "Phil Leeson" <pjleeson@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 21:19:40 -0600

Interesting to note that nowadays the QE2 is one of several big boats,
at 70,327 tons and 963 feet long.
Several Carnival ships are the same length, 110,000 tons.
Not to mention that Cunard is now owned by Carnival, as are several
other lines:
http://www.leaderships.com/home.asp
Sorta like the Cosina brands.

Some Leica content: M6TTL, 35mm Summicron:
http://www.leica-gallery.net/pjleeson/image-40570.html

Phil

> I think the industry definition of a "cruise" is an itinerary where
you
> put into a different port each day, or at most two, then sail
overnight
> to the next port. This is how it is done in the Carribean. Most of the
> ships that do this are *much* smaller than the QE2, and I would
frankly
> think twice about taking one of those ships across the North Atlantic
> during storm season. :-) QE2 is in a different class both structurally
> and in size. Also, the feeling of a transatlantic crossing is much
> different since you are basically going in a straight line for 5-6
days.

Replies: Reply from Craig Zeni <clzeni@mindspring.com> (OT ships was Re: [Leica] Leica Guilt - Cruising)
Message from Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica Guilt?)