Subject: Re: [Leica] Mark Pope's PAW Week 9 (just)
From: "Mark Pope" <leica.user@ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 13:50:41 -0000

Hi Charles,

to get the best out of the meter, you have to calibrate it for each paper
that you use.  The grades and exposures will vary depending on the
characteristics of the paper, enlarger and type of filtration.  It has been
time consuming because I have been learning how to do this and I made some
silly mistakes along the way.  The problems were with me - not the meter.
However, it is worthwhile.  For example, I was able to bang out 8 12 x 16
prints from different negatives yesterday in just over one hour - all
without a single test strip, saving both time and paper.

I have to 'tweak' multigrade IV as I am currently using the ISO-R settings
recommended by Ilford.  I reckon that start to finish, this will now take me
about 45 minutes to an hour.
Next, I have to calibrate MGIV Warmtone RC, which is around a stop slower
than normal multigrade and not as contrasty.  A full calibration should take
around two hours I reckon and cost me about three or four sheets of 10x8
paper.   I also have some other papers that I use from time to time, but for
the moment they can wait...

Don't let the calibration thing put you off.  Based on my experience to
date, the time invested in calibration is well worth it and it will pay
dividends in the future both in terms of time and materials.  It has also
helped me to better understand the characteristics of photographic paper and
how to interpret the information that appears on the data sheets.  So it has
been a valuable learning experience as well.

Hope that helps

regards

Mark