Subject: RE: [Leica] Comments on a BD Colen statement & PMA
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:25:51 -0700

With all due respect to everyone who has posted to this thread, I think it
is difficult to compare the products that Tom makes to those that Leica
makes in terms of cost, because they are two different products, with very
different business models. Though both are hand-made, the infrastructure
that is bringing these two products to market is very, very different. Not
only that, but even if Tom's overhead is lower than Leica's because he
operates a smaller operation, the cost of creating each individual unit is
how you have to compare--and again, that's only if the two are identical
products.

It may well be that both products are equal in terms of quality and
function, but we don't know that yet, as we haven't seen what the new
Leicavit-M will do, in the short haul or the long haul. Given what I've
heard from users about Tom's products, they are top-notch in every regard.

If the new Leicavit-M is a good product, it will have to be every bit as
good as Tom's product, or surpass it, for some folks to buy it. There are
some who would only buy Tom's products, because of what they are. They are
durable, tried and tested workhorses with a loyal following. And then there
are those who will only buy the Leicavit-M because they want something that
is Leica.

One would think that a large company that can take advantage of economies of
scale by using its existing manufacturing capacity and whatever else can
make a larger company more efficient at making something in quantity would
be able to do so with a price that is competitive. But we are basing our
idea of a competitive price on Tom's current price for his product, which,
and I know I may get a faceful of rotten tomatoes for this one, may very
well be underpriced. Then again, maybe they are priced just right. If that's
so, then I think--and I may get a faceful of rotten wienerschnitzels for
this one--that the introduction of the Leicavit-M may in fact help Tom's
business.

In any case, it will be very interesting to see what happens. ;-)

Kit