Subject: RE: [Leica] Leicavit, After Market Products, etc.
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 13:52:32 -0700

John--

Please, don't apologize. You didn't do anything wrong! ;-)

That said, Isn't that what I've been saying? That they are DIFFERENT? Yes, I
believe that I said that. The argument, which has become quite
argumentative, unfortunately, is that they are very different products, but
people are wondering why the cost is different. At the same time, I think it
isn't totally unfair to say that Tom's product is a development of a product
that already existed, and one that he improved upon in the process of
developing his model. That doesn't mean that what he's got isn't great,
because it is!

Folks were saying, "How come this thing is more expensive when they're the
same thing?" I said that no, they are not the same. And they are not the
same. I have no idea at this point, and neither does anyone else, if the new
Leicavit-M is better than Tom's winder, or if Tom's is a better winder. But
in reality, though they both wind, one is a winder made by one company,
another winder made by another. And I also said, "May the best product win."
I suspect both will win, in different markets, and among different kinds of
customers. We will see, won't we? Yes, we will. ;-)

As far as profit margins go, how do you know that Tom's margin is lower than
Leica's? There is no justification for making that judgment, once again,
since we are comparing apples and oranges. Tom's may cost less, but how do
you know that he isn't making a higher profit percentage than Leica is
making on theirs? That's a good question to ask. I'm not going to answer it,
but it is a good question to ask, nevertheless. At least something to figure
in, while you're figuring.

Kit