Subject: [Leica] Antonio Turok Speaks!
From: clifford wright <skidoophoto@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 19:43:22 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
 My graphic design professor let us out early tonight
so I was able to make it to hear the last 20 minutes
of Antonio Turok's talk at the University of Texas
visual communication school.
http://www.zonezero.com/exposiciones/fotografos/turok/p1en.html
 Very cool.
 Turok covered Central American strife during the
early 80's and was living in San Cristobal, Chiapas
when the Zapatistas occupied the city on New Years of
1994.
 When asked how he attained access to his stories he
related the tale of Charlie Parker being asked how he
played such great jazz. (Paraphased) - I just put the
sax to my lips and blow - the music just comes out. -
He said a photographer just picks up his camera, puts
on his boots and starts walking...
 He said some interesting things about the right to
photograph people in public - namely that a
photographer has full right to photograph people in
public and so I asked him to comment on the new French
laws of public privacy. He had not heard of them but
related the notion to fascism.
 Since I missed most of the talk my (wonderful) wife
taped the presentation for me. I'll let you know if
there is anything of further interest to the LUG.
 For anyone in the area, Magnum photographer Maya
Goded will be speaking in 2 weeks on the 20th of
March. Email me for details or call Dennis Darling at
the UT photojournalism dept.
Take care,
Clif Wright

=====
"The eye is for looking, not for thinking." Marc Riboud