Subject: [Leica] Re: Best Lens For Malls; Was T-Shirts
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 05:40:38 -0800

 > [ What lens / camera / technique to shoot inside shopping centres /
"Malls" ]

I've been shooting "no permission" people candids inside shopping
centers
for years.  <http://4020.net/everyday>

The "trick" (if any) is to leave all the extra-photo paraphernalia at
home.  Bring
just the camera on a neck strap.  No camera bag.  No photo vest.  No
back-to-front
baseball cap.  Work fast and be v.low key.

I've used a number of different cameras (Rollei 35SF, Hexar Silver
(silent modified),
Leica M4-2, M4-P and M6TTL - with motordive or rapidwinder) - finally
have settled
on just a plain M6TTL, wound-on by hand.

For the lens, on the Ms I've used a variety of 50mm's but lately have
only used
a 50mm 'lux (E43 version) with 2x empty UV filters screwed on the end
to act
as a v.compact "keep the fingers off the glass" lenshood.  Every now
and then
I break out the 35mm 'cron ASPH, but I find it difficult to "see" with
this lens
(looks like I'm just a 50mm kinda guy).

Film: colour, always and only colour - used to be Fuji Press 800, but
now is
almost exclusively Fuji NPZ 800 (just as fine-grained but much less
contrasty).

Of course this is for standard (hobby) stills work.  Shooting QTVRs
(with a motorised
M, fisheye & monopod) is *much* more trickier.  :?)

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth
<http://nemeng.com>
[ High-resolution immersive VR imaging & sound ]

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Best Lens For Malls)