Subject: Re: [Leica] Agfa 100 in XTOL
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 10:44:07 +0100

Your caption says you used Microdol-X 1:3  and not Xtol

What did you really use? Once we know, we will diagnose the problem
and come up with a solution for you  ;-)

A densiometer would be a great help, but is an investment. Perhaps a
local lab can measure an exposed film for you. Shoot a series of grey
card exposures. (No need to buy a grey card, any old cloth that is
grey will do, but no patterns please.) Start with a correct exposure
and then make four underexposures, each one of them one step more
underexposed than the other and then four overexposures in the same
way. The most underexposed negative should be just faintly (but
clearly) darker than the film base plus fog (that is the density of
the negative between the sprocket holes). If thinner, then your EI
was too high. The darkest negative should be darker than the second
darkest, and __almost__ solid black. If it is not almost solid black,
then you have underdeveloped. If more than one negative is solid
black, then you have over developed.

Another solution would be to photograph a grey scale, ten little
fields of different shades of grey starting with white and ending up
with solid black. Make sure that you can see differences between all
shades of grey on the negative. If there is no difference between the
thinnest portion of the negative and the film between the sprocket
holes, then your exposure was too short and you should adjust your
meter setting. If the blackest portion is not .. well, see above

Or print a copy of the negative. Everything there from pure white to
true black and in even steps? If not adjust EI and/or development time

Don't trust the times in the Cookbook. Don't trust Rabiner's times.
Don't trust my times.
TEST YOU OWN TIMES, and stick by them

Chris