Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica focusing...HELP!
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 21:22:36 -0700

Lea--

Don't let Jerry give you a hard time about your focusing, especially to the
point of suggesting an autofocus camera! Horrors! What ever happened to
creativity? I've seen your photographs, and they would not be the same with
an automatic eyeball. Jerry, shame on you, pal! ;-)

I believe one LUG member already suggested the 1.25x magnifier. I have one,
too, and it really does give you a sharper view of the focusing patch.
Tina's suggestions are great, about aligning verticals as well as moving
your body back and forth, and also use those depth of field marks on the
lens as a guide, too. Most people pay little attention to the lens
engravings, but they are there for a purpose. I have a good buddy who is a
focus-puller in Hollywood, and she focuses a Panavision without even looking
through the viewfinder at all. Looking "through" isn't her job, only
focusing. Sits to the side of the camera while the shooting takes place, and
can judge distance by looking, and does her work based on the marks on the
lens itself. An amazing skill. She can measure the distance between herself
and a distant object with amazing precision.

The Summilux lenses (and Noctilux, too) are just a bit harder lens to focus,
but their distinct signatures are worth the trouble. Just keep at it. And
enjoy, of course.

Kit