Subject: Re: [Leica] Autofocus Leica R
From: "Barney Quinn" <Barney.Quinn@noaa.gov>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:32:50 -0500

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that BD is loosing his hearing. I have some sympathy for
that because I have been battling serious eye disease for the past decade. I
had to face the prospect of going blind this winter. Usually I just lurk, but
just now I feel the need to say some things, perhaps in the way of a reality
check. I'd like to tell my own story, but I think my Grandfather's tale is
more to the point. Let me tell you about his.

Yes, there are people in this world who have managed through sheer grit,
determination, and raw talent to overcome blindness, deafness, and illness
and to make world class contributions to their fields. Beethoven was stone
deaf when he wrote his Ninth symphony. James Joyce was going blind and in
extreme pain when he wrote Ulysses. The noted percussionist Evelyn Glynne is
deaf. They are the exceptions. He, I think, is more of the rule

My Grandfather, Papa Harry was a printer. An old fashioned lithographer who
specialized in very high quality six color press work. I have a box in my
basement with some of his tools in it. I also have his gold watch. They are
among my most prized possessions. I am honored to have them. He worked for
the Wickersham press in New York. I'd love to have an example of his work,
but I have no clue as to how in the world I would ever go about tracking such
a thing down.

He had an affair when he was in his late fifties. My Grandmother, a difficult
woman who ran our clan with an iron fist, found out. He was in a very serious
car accident. His girlfriend died. He all but died. My Grandmother threw him
out of the family and my Mom and her sisters went along with it. We were all
told he was dead. One Sunday afternoon years later my Mom said, "By the way,
your Papa Harry is coming over for dinner tonight!" Say WHAT, Mom.

He had gone blind from glaucoma. He lost his legs to complications of
diabetes. He lost his work. He sat in a chair in his house for over thirty
years with only the memory of his girl friend, who from what little I know
and can find out was a kind and loving woman, to keep him going. His neighbor
was a lush whose wife wouldn't let him drink in the house. He would bring my
Grand Dad his dinner in exchange for some alcohol. He would stay for as long
as it took to down a couple of doubles and then he would go home. That was
all the human contact Papa Harry had for years.

Finally his health deteriorated to the point where it became a crisis. My Mom
got a call from the public health nurse. The short version of the
conversation is that the nurse told my Mom she didn't much care what the
*&%$# our family issues were this was a major crisis, and we had to do
something. My kid brother who had just drank his way out of law school for
the second time was sent to clean things up. It had taken a year for my
Grandfather to actually go blind. During that year he had organized and
labeled everything in his house so that when someone came to help him he
could say, "Yes it's in the third drawer on the right. It's labeled." Only no
one ever came.

When my brother started the Herculean task of cleaning up Papa Harry's House
he told my brother that he could whatever he needed to do. He did, however,
say that there was a suite case in his closet. It wasn't hurting anything,
and please don't bother it. It turns out that it was the suit case his
girlfriend had with them on the trip during which she was killed. That's all
the had, all those years. He held onto it to the end. This story still haunts
me. I'd love to know who she was, or to speak with her family, but I doubt
that will ever, happen, either.

Please, please, please. Blindness doesn't mean what sighted people think it
means. Darkness isn't what you think it means until you have had to look at
it with your own failing eyesight. I am telling you this story because I wnat
you to know what comes to my mind when people start tossing around cliches
about disability.

Barney