Subject: Re: [Leica] Autofocus/now Disability
From: "Steve LeHuray" <steve@streetphoto.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:38:00 -0400

John Brownlow writes:

> The reason I said this is that while I and most directors don't work
> this way, it is perfectly possible if you are working with people you
> COMPLETELY trust to let them look after certain aspects of the movie.
> The DP, the Production Designer, the editor -- if they know your
> methods and you have great communication, then they are all capable of
> turning in amazing results.

In theory this might work especially when a Director has a regular crew that
he regularly works with. But in practice the Director's vision is one of the
most critical elements of a film. And in practice the actor's NEED the
Director's approval from scene to scene. Even Daniel Day-Lewis (who's acting
and work ethic is second to none) needs the affirmation from the Director
that a take is the best he can get. I do not see how a blind Director's AD
or DP can make the judgement that the scene that a Daniel Day-Lewis just
bullseyed is any good or not.

sl