Subject: Re: [Leica] Autofocus Leica R (thanks Kit)
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 22:19:47 -0800

Kit,

Thanks for this link and for opening MY eyes to another's vision. A
paragraph from that site says a lot about how a blind person can create
a visual art:

" I photograph what I imagine, you could say I'm a bit like Don
Quijote.  The originals are inside my head. It is a matter of creating
a mental                image, the physical record which best
represents the work of what is imagined."

The desire to express something, anything, either visually or aurally
or textually, has more to do with what the artist wants to express than
with their own ability to directly interact with their own creation -
that is, to see it, hear it or read it. And, regardless of the ability
to directly interact with the art, there is always the opportunity to
indirectly interact, through the reactions and expressions of the
viewers, listeners and readers.

Another thing: I posit that not everybody wants to 'improve' their
photography. I think it was BD who suggested that a person who could
not see their photographs could not learn to improve their photography.
The truth of this aside, I think it is wrong to assume that somebody
wants to improve their photography. It is quite possible that they want
their photographs to be just as they are. I had for many years
purposefully NOT learned proper western music theory so that I could
create music that is new, alternative and wholly different, unbiased by
learned convention. Some critics could not get past my lack of
convention, some could. But I was able to create what I wanted to
create only by continuing to be 'blind' to the conventional. One could
choose such a path with photography, no?

Again, thanks for the link, and your always-sensitve and keen comments
along this thread.

- - marc