Subject: RE: [Leica] Entry-level rangefinder for a newbie? (also Olympus SP for sale)
From: "John Um" <jumesq@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:43:00 -0500

hello all;

i don't know if the alternate solution of purchasing a classic 70's
rangefinder was raised.  perhaps it is blasphemous to suggest a non-leica
compatible product on the leica list, but i find the older cameras to be a
wonderful entry into the world of rangefinders.  in fact, i was won over in
the same manner.

at the time i thought SLR's were the proverbial s***, and i had reached the
pinnacle in buying my nikon f4, i purchased an olympus SP.  i absolutely
loved the quiet shutter, compact size and sharp lens.  a contax G3 and 3
leica bodies (several lenses, as well) later, i'm still hooked on
rangefinders.

i know that canon, yashica, olympus and other japanese manufacturers made
very nice, inexpensive rangefinders that you can purchase for under $100.
the only caveat is many use silver batteries and are not built up to leica
standards.

as for the For Sale portion of this message, my first rangefinder is for
sale:  here are the details:

Olympus SP - one of 2 rangefinders with built in spot-meter!
- - near mint physically, mint mechanically
- - very sharp 42/1.7 lens (a little soft wide open, but tightens up even at
F2)
- - meter is spot on
- - focus is spot on
- - comes with genuine olympus screw on lenshood and olympus cap
- - comes with *correct* batteries (at least 2)

go to www.cameraquest.com for more details
asking $175 plus shipping.
5 day inspection period MBG (minus shipping both ways).

thanx,

john