Subject: Re: [Leica] 400mm Telyt f/5 vs. f/6.8 question
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:15:26 -0800

At 11:50 AM -0600 3/14/03, Thomas Pindelski wrote:
>How does the post-war f/5 compare for definition and contrast with the f/6.8?
>
>Thank you.
>--

For the f/5, contrast is considerably lower, flare is substantially
greater, performance is more even across the field, not as much field
curvature, resolution is lower in the center, and most especially,
handling is a bear! While the f/6.8 is just made for handheld
shooting and following small animals (I have some frame-filling shots
of birds in flight near the close focussing limit), forget that with
the f/5.

When the f/6.8 came out, I sold my f/5 and never looked back.

The f/5.6 is in most ways a middle ground between the other two, but
closer to the 6.8.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design