Subject: [Leica] elmar v. elmarit
From: Frank Farmer <frankandaubrey@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:31:23 -0600 (CST)

Greetings,

Ok, this may have been asked in the past.  All the same - why are most lenses with a wide open aperturee of f 2.8 deemed "elmarit" but the collapsible 50 with a wide open aperture of f 2.8 is deemed the "elmar"?  I thought "elmar" was reserved for lenses with wide open f-stops smaller than f 2.8, ie f 4 as in the tri-elmar.  Did I miss something in the discussion posted not too long ago regarding which lenses carried certain designations?  As always, thanks in advance.

Frank