Subject: Re: [Leica] Which Leica ?, M5, (now hand crank)
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:47:10 -0800

At 3:06 PM -0500 3/14/03, Craig Zeni wrote:
>>I'm not sure of all the details, but word has it that Fiat sold a
>>factory, tooling ... the works to the Soviet Union and set up their
>>factory. The parts where interchangeable (you could use Fiat parts
>>in a Lada, but you're wisdom might be questioned if you used Lada
>>parts in a Fiat).
>
>Thus creating the Fiatski...Fiat also sold tooling to India's
>Premier Automotive Ltd.  The Fiat 1100 lived on, as did the 127.
>Not sure if they're still in production or not - last time I was
>there was 1997 and they were still being built then.  Heck, they
>were still building Hindustan Ambassadors, which were Morris Oxfords
>from the mid 1950s...
>--

I think Premier Automotive is now no longer in the Fiat production
industry; Fiat has it's own branch in the country.

_However_, there is a Premier Automotive Ltd. in England, with a
sub-heading of 'Colliers Garage' in Dukinfield, so maybe John is back
in the automotive business. :-)

The Hindustan Ambassadors roll (slowly) on. Also Mahindras, Tatas, etc.

Even further OT, the largest car manufacturer in India is now Maruti,
which builds Suzuki versions for India and export.

I'm not sure any of these companies are able or willing to make retro
Leica M3's under licence.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design