Subject: RE: [Leica] Aperture: Don McCullin
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:40:40 -0700

Tim--

I feel much the same way. I subbed to Aperture last year, in early May, and
with the 2 year subscription one was supposed to receive a book on Paul
Strand. Just a small thing, probably a $20 book. I also ordered a back issue
of the number with the Sally Mann feature.

I kid you not, this is exactly what happened:

I waited and waited and waited ... and waited more, and never received
anything, subscription-wise, nothing, and book even less-than-nothing. So I
called. I emailed. I called again. Finally, someone acknowledged that I'd
written via email and said they'd see what was up. I got the back issue a
month later, but still no first issue. It took more than three months to get
the first issue of the magazine. And instead of one, I got two. Then started
the process, once again, for trying to get the Strand book. In November, I
called once again, after sending umpteen emails--which were never
acknowledged--and was told, "oh that book is out of print. You'll have to
wait." How long? Anyway, the book finally arrived in January, I believe. I
opened the package, and inside was a hardcover book with jacket, that looked
as if it had fallen on the floor in their shipping room, been kicked back
and forth, used as a substitute hockey puck, and then left in some damp spot
so that the boards would surely warp, and then shoved the jacketless thing
into the padded envelope (who sends books in padded envelopes?), and then as
an afterthought, shoved the poor orphaned jacket into the package, where it
was crumpled and squashed, and sent to me.

I called the shipping department, spoke in an elevated tone--no, I didn't
holler too loudly--into their voice mail, and waited for several weeks, and
again, nothing at all happened. Finally with another email to the customer
service manager, and a lengthy message of much the same tone as the one I
delivered to the shipping manager--who never responded again--I received the
promised book in the mail.

It was a paperback.

Kit