Subject: [Leica] Re:Leica R lenses on Canon digital - limitations
From: howard cummer <cummer@netvigator.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:04:56 +0800

>Hi
>don't mean to be cynical, but u might have to wait for a few years for a
>Leica digital :)
>IMHO, if u have a need for a digital now, the best way to do is either a 1D
>or 1Ds. Yes they will depreciate but the 1Ds looks pretty future proof for
>at least the next 3 years. Plus it accepts your current investment of R
>lenses!
>Boon Hwee

Hi Boon Hwee,
Not all R lenses will work on the 1Ds because deep seated rear elements of
certain lenses like the 19mm Elmarit R, and 35mm Summilux R foul the return
mirror. The frustration is that most R lenses will work on the Canon D60
(and I presume the 10D) because the return mirror is smaller - but then you
don't have exchangeable focusing screens - and I have trouble maintaining
accurate focus on the laser matt screen of the D60 / 10D. I wonder if I
could get Canon to custom build me a 10D with the split image focusing
screen from a EOS3? Doesn't seem likely. :-( Also I don't know if the 1D
has a smaller mirror than a 1Ds since the former has a 1.3:1 CCD and the
latter has a full 35mm size chip and presumably the same size mirror as the
EOS1 / EOS3 which will foul the above lenses (plus some others). See Andrew
Nemeth's Leica FAQ site for a more in-depth discussion about what lenses
cannot be used on the Canon cameras.
http://www.nemeng.com/leica/002f.shtml
Cheers
Howard