Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Angst
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 18:42:02 -0500

that is a big task. www.dpreview.com is probably your best resource.

interfaces are generally standard serial, USB, or firewire with the
same advantages and disadvantages as any platform. USB2 and firewire
are fast.

most people use CF2 compact flash memory cards (solid state) or
microdrives (tiny hard drives). I wouldn't buy a camera that didn't use
this. The variation is in capacity (stated in Mb), speed and robustness
to shock. Personally I think you need enough memory to hold 200-300
shots and some way of dumping them into temporary storage. So multiply
your camera's image size by 300 and that tells you how much storage you
need (eg 1Ds raw files are about 10Mb, so 300x10=3000Mb. That's 3x1Gb
microdrives, which is what I have. This allows you to shoot a day
without offloading images. I also have a digital wallet (mini
standalone hard drive) that I can dump images onto without a laptop).

steer clear of proprietary storage formats (eg sony memory stick).

On Monday, March 17, 2003, at 05:53 PM, Oliver Bryk wrote:

> Although a digital camera is definitely not in my foreseeable future I
> was
> intrigued by the variety of camera memory devices , capacities,
> interfaces
> and what-nots that were mentioned by our various correspondents on this
> thread. Could someone summarize the relevant aspects of these devices
> and
> perhaps some idea how camera designers select from among them?

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Digital Angst)