Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Angst
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:02:20 -0500

well I agree entirely, Jez baby. at first I thought it was a bit rich
asking someone to do his work for him, but then, hm, no, I thought, I
know, I'll write a bunch of personally oriented platitudes instead of
flaming him into a charred piece of meat

it's a bit like asking someone else to do your homework

JB

On Monday, March 17, 2003, at 07:48  PM, Jerry Lehrer wrote:

> John
>
> As much as I respect most of your replies to tyros, I think that
> a bunch of personally oriented platitudes is not what this gent
> needs. It is more than can be expressed in a few short replies
> on this List.
>
> There are many courses given locally, most free. on digital
> photography by; Junior Colleges, camera stores, adult education
> centers, und so weiter.
>
> One response, by an admitted expert, won't do it.
>
> Jerry
>

> Johnny Dead man wrote:
>
>> that is a big task. www.dpreview.com is probably your best resource.
>>
>> interfaces are generally standard serial, USB, or firewire with the
>> same advantages and disadvantages as any platform. USB2 and firewire
>> are fast.
>>
>> most people use CF2 compact flash memory cards (solid state) or
>> microdrives (tiny hard drives). I wouldn't buy a camera that didn't
>> use
>> this. The variation is in capacity (stated in Mb), speed and
>> robustness
>> to shock. Personally I think you need enough memory to hold 200-300
>> shots and some way of dumping them into temporary storage. So multiply
>> your camera's image size by 300 and that tells you how much storage
>> you
>> need (eg 1Ds raw files are about 10Mb, so 300x10=3000Mb. That's 3x1Gb
>> microdrives, which is what I have. This allows you to shoot a day
>> without offloading images. I also have a digital wallet (mini
>> standalone hard drive) that I can dump images onto without a laptop).
>>
>> steer clear of proprietary storage formats (eg sony memory stick).
>>
>> On Monday, March 17, 2003, at 05:53 PM, Oliver Bryk wrote:
>>
>>> Although a digital camera is definitely not in my foreseeable future
>>> was
>>> intrigued by the variety of camera memory devices , capacities,
>>> interfaces
>>> and what-nots that were mentioned by our various correspondents on
>>> this
>>> thread. Could someone summarize the relevant aspects of these devices