Subject: Re: [Leica] was Leica DSLR, now L or R glass?
From: "Nathan Wajsman (private)" <nathanw@bluewin.ch>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 05:56:19 +0100

I do not have much experience with the wide angle Leica R lenses, but I
do have an older 19mm Elmarit R, which is an excellent performer, and
certainly much superior to the 17mm Tokina lens I once had when I was
shooting Pentax SLR in my pre-Leica days.

But I also have two newer Leica R lenses which are fantastic: the
4/35-70mm which is the simply the best zoom I have ever owned, and the
100mm Apo Macro Elmarit, which I consider to be my best Leica lens, R or
M, and by itself enough reason to buy a Leica SLR.

My older lenses in the longish range, a 60mm Macro Elmarit and a
2.8/180mm, are also both excellent, as was a 6.8/400mm I once owned. My
main use of SLRs is with long lenses and macro, and here my R lenses are
*much* better than the Pentax equipment I had before.

Nathan

Red Dawn wrote:

> all of which leads to something i've been wanting to find out for myself -
> are the R lenses just as good as the best (L glass / AFS glass) from their
> Japanese Canon / Nikon counterparts, or up to the high standards of M glass?
>
> anybody has an idea of how the 35mm R Summilux stacks up against a Canon
> 35mm f1.4L? or the 24mm Elmarit R against the el cheapo Canon 24mm f2.8, or
> even the Canon 24mm f1.4L?

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland