Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 Summilux from KEH, should I complain?
From: Patrick Jelliffe <pbjbike@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:05:47 -0800 (PST)

Richard,  I think your question was valid as was
posting the ? on this forum, especially considering
the outlay for the lens and its age.  It sounds as if
you've decided to go ahead and use it, and that seems
the best course to me from everything you and others
have said.

I did have a Canon 50 f/1.2 screw mount lens serviced
by Focal Point.  Apparently, VanStelten used a GREASE
with a high viscosity.  It migrated over a period of 9
months, and a total of TWO rolls of film using that
lens, no extreme temperatures either in use or
storage.  Because it wasn't oil, the grease caused the
blades to bind and rendered the lens unuseable. Even
under examination, because of the use of grease and
not oil, there was no shiny telltale sign. Your case
is totally different, but mine is an example of
improper repair technique, and probably improper
volume of lubricant.

Have a grand vacation out West.

Regards,

Patrick