Subject: Re: [Leica] Why you shouldn't buy a Canon printer
From: Craig Zeni <clzeni@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 07:54:56 -0500

>  Richard F. Man wrote:
>
>>There is this non-customer who has been pestering me all week, and
>>I kept telling him he is trying to do things that are not meant to
>>be for our products.
>
>There are instructions for using custom paper sizes in the Canon
>i950 User Guide supplied on the CD-ROM with the printer when you buy
>it.  There are instructions on the Apple Support web site for
>defining and using custom paper sizes.  Custom paper sizes are a
>built-in property of the Mac OS X operating system, and a standard
>part of the "Print..." dialog box that you are presented with when
>you select this from any programs "File" menu.
>
>As a result, I believe I'm justified in thinking that is a "thing
>meant for the product".  This is not some strange, obscure,
>esoteric, odd-ball, off-the-wall, undocumented, special-glue feature
>that I'm trying to put together out of chewing gum and some leftover
>plastic straws.
>
>What *really* pisses me off about this tech guy, though, (and many
>other tech support organizations) is that I present myself as
>someone who *has* done their background work.  I have put in an hour
>of work isolating the problem to the printer driver.  I have checked
>all available documentation and I am following the recommended
>procedures in that documentations.  This was communicated to him at
>the start of our conversation, to put him into the picture.
>
>And I still get treated like a monkey with a banana by some twit who
>just can't be bothered to check into the problem.
>
>He never actually said "you cannot print on non-standard sized paper
>with the i950" or "Canon printers don't support non-standard paper
>sizes"  He just adamantly maintained that since the printer works on
>predefined sizes of paper, there was nothing wrong with it.  And he
>said in such a manner that suggested I was as dumb as a rotted
>floorboard for even calling tech support in the first place.
>
>Nevermind that his claims was completely outside the scope of my problem.

I'd have been all over his supervisor like a cheap suit.  I don't
tolerate that sort of rubbish any longer...run me around twice, and
I'm pushing it up the food chain to his boss, then HIS boss, ad
nauseum...
Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni at mindspring dot com
http://www.trainweb.org/zeniphotos/zenihome.html
http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/index.html

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...