Subject: Re: [Leica] veiling flare on 50/2
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:44:39 -0700

I have a third generation 50/2 which is subject to veiling flare. It is
nowhere near as bad as my 90/2.8 T-E was but it is definitely there. I
do not use filters and I had the lens cleaned -- which made no
difference. The gentleman, whose radical solution I pointed out, also
had a third gen 50/2 and by careful experimentation he found it was a
reflection off the paint in the rear of the lens after the rear
element. He made up his baffle and it was cured.

I have not got around to doing the same on mine and I will probably try
some flat black velvet first. However I see no reason to doubt him. It
could be a matter of sample variation as I mentioned before. Certainly
the 90/2.8 T-E either suffers from severe sample variation or there are
some remarkably unfussy people out there! The lens tester who has
mentioned the 50/2's propensity to flare is a controversial person on
this list so let's just leave it at that. Again he did not say anything
that I had not already experienced myself.

If your lenses are not flaring, be happy. However that does not mean I
have to be happy with mine if it is flaring...

John Collier

PS: I also corresponded with a UK list member who experienced the
veiling flare problem with his brand new 50/2. Leica UK said it was
normal but an independent found a lens element which had not been
blacked around the edges. After that the lens was much improved.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] veiling flare on 50/2)
Reply from Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com> (Re: [Leica] veiling flare on 50/2)